11/28/2010

Good company

One companion asked Rasulullah (saw), “Who can be my best friend?”

Rasulullah (saw) answered, “Your best friend is a person:

*when you see him, he makes you remember Allah ;

*when you listen to him, knowledge of Islam is increased; and

*when you see his actions, you are reminded of the life of the Hereafter .”

Rasulullah (saw) taught his companions by saying, “Shall I tell you a thing by which you can obtain good in this world and the Hereafter ?”

*Be with the assemblies of those who remember Allah (swt).

*Be busy in remembrance of Allah (swt) when you are alone.

*Be in the gatherings wherein knowledge of Islam and Qur’an is taught.

*Be with those whose love is for the sake of Allah (swt).

*Be with those whose dislike is for the sake of Allah (swt).


Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.) said: “The example of a good companion and a bad companion is like that of the seller of musk, and the one who blows the blacksmith’s bellows. So as for the seller of musk then either he will grant you some, or you buy some from him, or at least you enjoy a pleasant smell from him. As for the one who blows the blacksmith’s bellows then either he will burn your clothes or you will get an offensive smell from him.”

(Bukhari and Muslim)

“Keeping good company with the pious results in attainment of beneficial knowledge, noble manners and righteous actions, whereas keeping company with the wicked prevents all of that.”

-saying of a scholar

Allah , the All-Wise also says: “Friends on that Day will be enemies one to another, except al-Muttaqoon (i.e. those who have Taqwah).” [43:67]

Hafidh Ibn Katheer, commenting on this verse, relates a story on the authority of Ali Ibn Abi Talib (r.a.a.) and says that any friendship for other than Allah is turned into enmity, except what was in it for Allah the Mighty and Majestic: Two who are friends for Allah ’s sake; one of them dies and is given good news that he will be granted al-Jannah, so he remembered his friend and he supplicated for him, saying: O Allah , my friend used to command me to obey You and to obey Your Prophet (s.a.w.) and used to command me to do good and to forbid me from doing evil. And he told me that I will meet You. O Allah , do not let him go astray after me, until you show him what you have just shown me, until You are satisfied with him, just like You are satisfied with me.” So he is told: “Had you known what is (written) for you friend, would you have laughed a lot and cried a little.” Then his friend dies and their souls are gathered, and both are asked to express their opinions about each other. So each one of them says to his friend: you were the best brother, the best companion and the best friend.” And when on of the two disbelieving friends dies, and he is given tidings of Hellfire, he remembered his friend and he said: O Allah , my friend used to order me to disobey You and disobey Your Prophet, and commanded me to do evil, and forbade me from doing good, and told me that I would not meet You. O Allah , do not guide him after me, until you show him what you have just shown me and until you are dissatisfied with him just like You are dissatisfied with me.” Then the other disbelieving friend dies, and their souls are gathered, and both are asked to give their opinions about each other. So each one says to his friend:
you were the worst brother, the worst companion and the worst friend.”

Abu Bakr (R) and Ali (R) were walking towrds each other one day. They passed by each other and neither greeted the other. In arabic culture it is customary for the younger to greet the elder. Later that day Abu Bakr(R) saw Ali (R) and asked him, ”

Are you upset with me?” becaues he had not greeted him. ALi (R) replied, “No, but last night i had a dream. In the dream i saw a beautiful palace in paradise. I asked who’s palace it was and an angel told me it is for the brother who greets the other first.

I was waiting for you to greet me because i wanted you to have the palace.” Abu Bakr then told him, “LAst night i had the same dream too. I was waiting for you to greet me because i also wanted you to have the palace.”
This is an incredible display of love for a fellow muslim.

Wanting something for a brother/sister before u want it for yourself is a sign of very strong faith. Inshallah Allah (SWT) will give us this kind of strength so we can become like them.

1 comment:

  1. Source for the narration of Ali ra and Abu Bakr ra not greeting each other because of a dream please

    ReplyDelete